Director of Finance and Investments (Re-advertisement)
The Malawi University of Business and Applied Sciences (MUBAS) was created by an Act of Parliament No.19 of 2019, as an entrepreneurial university specializing in business and applied sciences.
The newly established University would like to fill the position of Director of Finance and Investments with a suitably qualified candidate at a time when it is redefining its niche and globally repositioning itself to run in compliance with international norms of scholarship and a business culture that characterizes a modern university.
The desirable candidate is expected to be a seasoned finance professional who is capable of providing solid leadership to the finance function. The person should also demonstrate capacity to operate in an academic environment. Additionally, the candidate is supposed to have demonstrable ability to contribute to the creation of an entrepreneurial university capable of weaning itself from overdependence on government subvention. The role requires capability for tactful interaction with members of executive management and analytical skills which a financial advisor to the Vice-Chancellor should possess. A flair for developing innovative financial policies in resonance with Government legislation is critical to this role for it to be effectively executed.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- A professional qualification such as ACCA, CPA or CIMA (Master’s degree in Finance or related field from a reputable and accredited institution that is internationally recognized will be an added advantage); and
- Ten (10) years’ relevant experience at management level.
- Capacity to oversee preparation and implementation of financial and investment policies;
- Capability for strategic planning;
- Appreciation of the role internationalization plays in the development of academic institutions;
- Familiarity with global trends in funding for higher education institutions and how those funds are accounted for;
- An understanding of the role of financial prudence in the global ranking of universities; and
- Appreciation of the importance of judicious financial management to quality and assurance in higher education.
- Knowledge of how academic research projects and consultancies are developed and implemented to ensure that they contribute to institutional development;
- Familiarity with national, regional and global policies influencing higher education funding;
- Understanding of insurance and pension matters;
- Ability to administer a performance management system;
- Verifiable capacity for interpersonal communication skills; and
- Evidence of willingness to be a continuous learner as part of building capacity in Finance and Investment Division.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing consolidated financial statements and other reports;
- Coordinating the management off assets and goods in the stores department;
- Coordinating the management of insurance and pension portfolios;
- Coordinating the implementation, monitoring and reviewing management of stores, finances and investment policies, plans, budgets, strategies, procedures and regulations; and
- Establishing investment ventures that are viable together with methods for accounting for them.
- Participating in the overall strategic planning of the university;
- Developing and implementing the viable financial strategy to support the strategic plan of the university;
- Developing and monitoring implementation of Financial and Investment policies, plans, budgets, strategies, procedures and regulations.
- Identifying institutional risks and measures to address them;
- Monitoring and reviewing the effectiveness of internal controls; and
- Mobilizing and accounting for financial resources.
- Enforcement of performance management system;
- Ensuring that agreed upon work plans are implemented; and
- Identifying weaknesses in staff for correction through training.
- Providing secretarial services to the Finance Committee of Council and its ad hoc Committees in collaboration with the University Registrar; and
- Developing and presenting papers on financial matters during orientation programmes of newly appointed members of Executive Management.
- The Director of Finance and Investments shall hold office for a period of five years and, subject to satisfactory performance, be eligible for re-appointment for one further term. The Director of Finance and Investments will report to the Vice Chancellor and shall, therefore, be expected to support the Vice Chancellor with financial management and investment so that the core functions of the university are prudently implemented.
The University shall provide the successful candidate with an attractive compensation and benefit package in accordance with its existing structure of benefits.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Interested candidates should submit their Curricula Vitae, names and addresses of three traceable referees to the undersigned. In addition, applicants should submit a financial strategy clearly articulating planned strategies to drive financial viability and sustainability to support the vision and mission of the newly established university.
Individuals who applied earlier on are encouraged to re-apply if they are still interested in the job.
Shortlisting of candidates will be based on the quality of the documents and completeness of the applications submitted. The applications should be submitted to the address below:
The Chairperson of Council
Malawi University of Business and Applied Sciences
Private Bag 303
Electronic copies of the application should be sent to: email@example.com
Applications should be in by 15th April, 2022.