Director of Student Affairs
MUBAS is looking for an individual who will head the Directorate of Student Affairs at a time when the University is repositioning itself to operate in conformity with global trends currently applicable to the provision of student support services. This newly introduced and demanding position requires multiskilled managers that are able to undertake a wide range of tasks simultaneously and without expecting to be prompted. It also calls for strong supervisory skills and rational decision-making befitting an environment where critical thinkers operate.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- PhD from accredited and internationally recognized universities;
- Seven (7) years’ practical experience in managing students.
- General leadership qualities with the ability to mobilize the academic community, students, alumni and external stakeholders in the University’s drive to provide cutting edge Student Affairs Leadership;
- High level administrative skills;
- Sound knowledge into and vision of the public higher education sector;
- Ability to develop and maintain good human relations;
- Excellent drafting skills required when preparing minutes, reports, proposals and recommendations for the attention of Executive Management; and
- Skilled in analyzing and organizing data sets into reports and presentations.
- Commitment to Excellence: Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities;
- Respect and Cooperation: Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others’ ideas, thoughts, and opinions;
- Dependability: Does due diligence to complete assignments within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments;
- Integrity: Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities; and
- Flexibility: Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for the Student Affairs Directorate aligned to the strategic objectives of the University and its internationalization policy;
- Provide innovative ways in handling the pandemic and challenges of students’ welfare;
- Keep a record of all international and local students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels including those requiring the support of loans;
- Raise the level of student leadership to international standards by creating a learning and caring environment and community where strong, effective, responsible, disciplined and accountable leadership befitting a university is developed;
- Provide dynamic and effective leadership in the promotion of student ethics and the administration of human rights enshrined in the Malawian Constitution and the Act of the University;
- Develop plans and strategies for the provision of internationally acceptable on and off-campus and approved accommodation conducive to the holistic development of young future leaders;
- Provide leadership in making the academic project pivotal to student life both on and off-campus;
- Raise the profile of the Directorate and its activities nationally and internationally through the use of a regularly updated website;
- In liaison with the office of the University Registrar, oversee staff development and management using the available Performance Management System applicable to all staff members deployed in the Directorate;
- Ensure high quality governance arrangements are operational among both staff and students falling under the Directorate;
- Manage effective and efficient utilization of the budget applicable to the Directorate;
- Participate in the preparation of the annual budgetary estimates of the Directorate;
- Develop, implement and monitor all policies related to student affairs to ensure that they were properly aligned to University and National policies, rules and regulations, on gender and sexual harassment;
- Manage risks that may emerge in the course of the Directorate performing its functions;
- Orient all students to what is expected of them academically and socially while they are on campus and avail to them the required literature in these areas;
- Oversee provision of recreational, religious and counselling services as may be required by students in the course of studying; and
- Liaise with employers looking for interns from the University during long vacations to see how placements could match student programmes.
The Director of Student Affairs shall hold office for a period of five years and, subject to satisfactory performance, be eligible for re-appointment for one further term. The Director of Student Affairs will be reporting to the Vice Chancellor on promotion of the University’s global excellence and stature by providing strategic and operational leadership for the Directorate meant to address the holistic welfare of both local and international students who would be admitted into the University with different needs.
The University shall provide the successful candidates with an attractive compensation and benefit package in accordance with its existing structure of benefits. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their applications together with their visions for the office applied for, Curricula Vitae, names and addresses of three traceable referees to the undersigned. Shortlisting of candidates to undergo interviews will be based on the quality of the documents to be submitted to the following address:
The Chairperson of Council
Malawi University of Business and Applied Sciences
Private Bag 303
Electronic copies of the application should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be in by 21st February, 2022.