The newly established MUBAS is looking for a capable and modern University Librarian who should be fully conversant with how vibrant libraries in the current global environment operate. This demanding position requires a seasoned self-driven manager who understands the academic environment well and can cultivate rapport with demanding library users.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Library and Information Science or related field from accredited and internationally recognized universities;
- Seven (7) years’ experience in managing a library.
- Capacity to analyze and interpret user data to develop a library’s catalogue to best serve the needs of patrons;
- Management of the thousands of items in a library collection;
- Capability to adapt to change;
- Capacity to handle information curation;
- Experience in cataloguing;
- An affinity for books and other publications;
- A love of knowledge and learning;
- A desire to work around people in a busy set up;
- Awareness of national, regional and global rankings among universities;
- Capacity for strategic planning; and
- Team-building capacity among diverse professionals.
- Desire to meet and serve the library user community;
- Ability to think analytically and to develop new or revised systems, procedures and work flow befitting a modern library;
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgement;
- Knowledge of computers, the internet, and commercially available software;
- Ability to handle the complicated web of connections libraries have with businesses, suppliers, local organizations and other partners;
- Ability to organize library materials in an easily accessible form;
- Ability to handle multimedia communication;
- Ability to manage documentation; and
- Ability to contribute, monitor and control the institutional annual budget.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing, reviewing, monitoring and implementing policies, plans, programmes, strategies and budgets for the University library;
- Mobilizing information, financial and material resources for supporting library services;
- Developing and implementing user information literacy programmes;
- Marketing and promoting library resources and services;
- Developing and maintaining partnerships with other academic and research libraries as well as national, regional and international library associations;
- Setting and monitoring implementation of standards for the University Library;
- Developing, reviewing and monitoring cataloging, reader services and new library technologies;
- Supporting research activities and publications of the University;
- Maintaining and securing library resources;
- Preparing reports; and
- Allocating work and appraising staff.
As the Head of Library Services, the Librarian shall report to the Deputy Vice Chancellor. The Librarian shall hold office for a period of five years and, subject to satisfactory performance, be eligible for re-appointment for one further term.
The University shall provide the successful candidates with an attractive compensation and benefit package in accordance with its existing structure of benefits. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their applications together with their visions for the office applied for, Curricula Vitae, names and addresses of three traceable referees to the undersigned. Shortlisting of candidates to undergo interviews will be based on the quality of the documents to be submitted to the following address:
The Chairperson of Council
Malawi University of Business and Applied Sciences
Private Bag 303
Electronic copies of the application should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be in by 21st February, 2022.